Gun Control Propositions | Teen Ink

Gun Control Propositions

May 29, 2014
By Z.V.Oksana PLATINUM, Harrison, Arkansas
Z.V.Oksana PLATINUM, Harrison, Arkansas
22 articles 1 photo 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know.”
― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall


Gun control propositions have been on the rise, resulting in a debate about what’s to become of gun violence in the United States. Some say that too many criminals purchase guns legally, but a criminal is a person of, involving, or having the nature of crime. Banning guns legally will only make room for the criminals to obtain them illegally and leave us “bear” handed. If outlawing alcohol in in the 1920’s only encouraged more organized crime, what could outlawing guns do to our country? Not only is it irrational, it’s unconstitutional. It would violate not only the second amendment, but the 4th and 5th, completely defiling our rights. It is argued that 66.9% of the homicides of America result from the allowance of Americans to bear arms -- gun related homicides would happen even if guns didn’t exist. Even though that’s accurate, that statistic only argues a miniscule portion of the picture. Gun violence has gone down a drastic 49% since 1993; that’s only ten years. 56% of Americans believe that violence had heightened, creating distorted views on the need for gun control. Only 12% know the true statistics, and know that it has decreased in the last ten years. Another argument is that Americans don’t need guns; we have the government as our protection. The truth behind gun control is being hidden by glamorizing tragedies involving gun violence. Why would government use our emotions against us? The answer is embedded in history. Other government’s gun control laws have been the first step to conducting genocide campaigns, causing the death of approximately 56 million people over the course of history. A portion of the countries that began genocides after conducting gun control laws were the Soviet Union (murdered 20 million anti-communists) Cambodia, (murdered 1 million of the brightest, most educated citizens) and, the infamous holocaust in Nazi Germany (murdered 13 million because of religion), led by the ruthless dictator Adolf Hitler. The most logical decision is to obliterate gun control.


The author's comments:
My personal opinion on the argument of Gun Control.