When We Were Young | Teen Ink

When We Were Young

By Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

"Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be." Sonia Riccoti

When we were young, all we could think about was growing up. We couldn't wait to go to school dances, have a late curfew, and learn how to drive. We listened to our parents harp on the words, “stay young while you can” like they were speaking a different language. Why would we want to stay kids? Then, as years flash by and all of a sudden it's our senior year of high school, we wish we would have listened to our parents advice. Soon it will be time to face a whole new terrain, to step out in to the world all on our own. It's like learning to walk again, except we don't have anyone to catch us if we fall. There will be all knew responsibilities and obstacles that we have never dealt with before. We'll be staying up until dawn frantically studying with a cup of cold Raman noodles at our side. Growing up wasn't as great as it seemed it was when we were children. It's terrifying. As we pack all our belongings and prepare to head off for college, we wish it was all just pretend, just like when we were young.

The journey to college is both frightening and exhilarating.