Because I Am a Size Twelve | Teen Ink

Because I Am a Size Twelve

May 9, 2013
By Watson, GOLD, Billings, Montana
Watson, GOLD, Billings, Montana
18 articles 4 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)


To whom it may concern:


I walk by Abercrombie and Fitch every time I go to the mall. I can hear it from fifty feet away, the thumping bass of club music, and the strong smell of cologne. Every time I walk by the front door a larger than life photo of scantily clad models, sun kissed and perfect, greets me. And I’m reminded that I am not one of those models. When you walk in the store you see racks upon racks of stylish clothing, hanging up neatly beside stylish mannequins and smiling photos. I must admit, the atmosphere is impressive. It screams modern and sexy. But I won’t find anything in this store for me. I won’t find a single piece of clothing I can wear, won’t find a single picture of a girl who looks like me on a wall, won’t ever see a mannequin my size. Because I am a size twelve. Because I am a size twelve, I can’t try on those stylish jeans I see everyone else wearing. Because I am a size twelve I can’t wear shorts or tank tops in the summer for fear of showing my unsightly limbs. Because I am a size twelve, I shouldn’t be wearing Abercrombie and Fitch clothes. Because I am a size twelve, I am not the “all-American, popular” teenager that Abercrombie and Fitch wants wearing their clothes. Because I am a size twelve, I will never get the chance to see myself as beautiful, because I don’t belong in that store. Because I am a size twelve, I must not be worth anything. Because I am a size twelve, I will walk home from Abercrombie and I will not eat. Because I am a size twelve, I will starve myself so that maybe, someday, hopefully, I will be emaciated enough to be able to walk into Abercrombie and not feel ashamed of who I am. Because I am a size twelve, I now feel sub-human, because that store will not serve me. Because I am a size twelve. And not a size 2. Because I have muscles and bones, and yes, fat. Because I am built like my Viking ancestors and not like a fairy. Because I don’ t meet a CEO’s idea of who he wants wearing his clothes, I will now feel like I don’ t belong. Like I never will because I am ugly. Thank you, Abercrombie and Fitch. Thank you for making me and millions of other girls hate the reflection they see in the mirror. Because I am a size twelve.


Sincerely,

A Human Being


The author's comments:
I urge everyone who reads this to think about the effect store like this have on girls everywhere. Do you really want to wear those kinds of clothes?