Test Me | Teen Ink

Test Me

By KZhang SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
KZhang SILVER, Naperville, Illinois

"As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me"
-George Orwell

The smell of wet grass filled my nostrils and the delicate sound of tree branches brushing against the window tickled my ears. The song of birds echoed outside and... “5 minutes remaining.” Oh no. The test proctor’s voice was like death to my ears. With ten questions left and only five minutes remaining, I knew that it was over. My chance of success was like Ron Paul’s chance at presidency: long gone. I felt my dreams and ambitions leave me like some ship sailing far away to some distant land. Wait, this was just a practice test.
Every single year, millions of high school students in the United States will take standardized tests such as the ACT, SAT, and even the PSAT. Not only do the names of these tests send chills down my spine, these tests also play a major role in the college application process. As the eldest son of Chinese immigrants, these standardized tests are the determinants of life and death. Just kidding! It’s not that serious.

My problem with this whole process is the fact that my friends at College Board decided that a series of standardized tests is an accurate representation of my abilities as a student. Couldn’t my teachers, everyday grades, extracurricular activities, or even parents give a better summary of my “college readiness” (that’s how counselors at my high school describe it). Rather than offering an accurate representation of academic performance, these tests have done nothing besides add more stress on the lives of countless hardworking students. So the next time some packet of paper decides it can judge my “college readiness,” it can count me out! So when can I register for the ACT again?

As a junior in high school, my life is comprised of a lot of standardized testing. Here is a humorous take on America's testing system.