Our Nation's Quilt | Teen Ink

Our Nation's Quilt

June 25, 2008
By Anonymous

“My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.” John F. Kennedy’s inauguration speech still holds us captive today. His electrifying speech displays a message of passion that touches the core of America’s heart. It is a speech that will never be forgotten amidst the hardships and turmoil of our nation. It is a speech that picks us up when we are down and carries us through the difficult times before us. This speech shows that together we are a powerful force that cannot be stopped.

It is a speech that gives the little boy in Alabama the chance to dream. It gives the little girl in Oregon the passion to hope. It gives the soldier in Iraq the determination to care. It gives the grieving mother at home the right to be proud. It gives the scientist in the lab the dedication to find a cure. It gives the cancer patient in the ER the motivation to move forward and continue to have a purpose in life. This speech rattles the emotions of people around the nation and demands every prone ear to receive its message: Together, we can make a difference.

We can make that little boy’s dreams come true. We can shine a light of hope to the nations around us. We can ignite the fire of determination. We can comfort those who are lost. We can heal those who are ill. We can bring a subtle peace to every nation because we are proud to be American patriots whose colors of red, white, and blue caress the dignity of mankind. We can make a difference.

This speech is why I am proud to be an American patriot. I wish to honor those who have fought and died for our country. I want to stand hand in hand with the dreamers, the philosophers, and those who spark the inspiration of freedom in the world around us. I feel privileged to stand as a citizen of our nation and be woven into the tapestry of our country. For our nation is like a quilt that would never become a masterpiece without each individual thread.