Teenage Evaluation | Teen Ink

Teenage Evaluation

By OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York
OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York

"My teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said happy. She said I didn't understand the assignment. I said she didn't understand life."- John Lennon

The teenage mind works in ways that are incomprehensible. It feeds not off of information or that vital to our sanity, but rather the erratic powers of emotion. It hibernates after the fuzzy feel of safety. The structure we desire to the bone. It drives many kids into what they believe is depression. Yes, we tend to exaggerate as to where we are emotionally. However, it is one thing I have yet to understand about how us teenagers work. We look for shelter, and we perform acts that cause us to be left out alone to face the elements of earth. We all seek a perfect codependence, and for those that claim they seek independence are simply blind to the fact that it is impossible to live in such a world alone. Peruse the world and its negatives alone, then peruse the world and its positives together.

Picture a trapeze artist flying off through a hoop of fire and passing a den of lions. The things we do to get attended to can be similar to what the trapeze artist just did in that picture. As abstract as that seems, you can't allow your egos to deny it. Our lust for cruelty derives from the want to be wanted. As sad as it is to say, a lot of us don't have a stable family background. The friendships we all are aboard are nothing but canoes prepared to capsize. The waves of zealous betrayal attack, and no forts are built to stop it...