Is it worth trying? | Teen Ink

Is it worth trying?

January 30, 2012
By teenink987654321 BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
teenink987654321 BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Hard work is something that people laugh at these days. Many people believe that they can do absolutely nothing and be rich and have a good life. However, these people need to learn that you have to work for everything in life. Most people like to take the “easy” route in life, but there isn’t one. I think that this is a major problem in America.

Our economy is in very bad condition. The unemployment rate has been at an all-time high for the past few years. Many people are struggling even to stay in their homes. Why? Personally, I think that the people are bringing this on themselves. Many people do not even try and they just hope that something will happen. That’s not enough. The thing that annoys me the most, however, is the unemployment rate. I have walked into many stores that basically beg for employees. There are so many people out there with no jobs, but still no one even takes a look at the flyers. According to “AOL Jobs, ” there are many big companies hiring, such as Sears, Macys, AT&T, T-Mobile, Aflac, Trugreen, and Avis. This proves that it is possible to get a good job, even in the market today. But why aren’t people snagging the opportunities? How is America supposed to recover from this if no one is even trying? Why should the government be blamed if technically it is the people who are causing the problem? Mostly, I believe that it is because of their laziness. This country was created a republic and people should fulfill their responsibilities by being informed and trying to the best of their abilities to make our country a better place.

This problem of laziness was probably developed at a young age. This is a problem that many teens face today. As a student, I try to do my best, so that my education can lead to me having a good life. However, this is not the case for everyone. Most students don’t care about school and don’t try at all. Many students believe that they can do badly in school and still be successful. This is terrible. What are these kids going to do when they grow up and become working people? It is sad to think that there are more kids who do not try than those who do. This is very sad. Middle school and high school are like the roots of tree for these children’s lives. A tree isn’t going to last long if the roots are weak.

Lastly, I think that we should look up to people who used hard work as a means of being successful and use them as examples of how to lead our own lives. One example is Steve Jobs. He recently passed away but his story amazes me so much. Steve Jobs was given up for adoption and he did not find out information about his real parents until the age of 27. He started Apple in his garage. Even through all of these struggles, hard work got him through it. His hard work helped him die a millionaire.

“Hard work is the single greatest competitive advantage.” This quote by www.99percent.com pretty much sums up my belief that hard work is important. Hard work will help you with everything in life. So instead of just waiting for something to happen, work for it!


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece as an assignment for school. I was inspired to write this because this was a topic I felt strongly about.