Telling the Truth? | Teen Ink

Telling the Truth?

Lying… Cheating… and eventually maybe even stealing. These are all things that can happen if a person isn’t honest. As for myself, I want to stay clear of all matters that include these things. Although they are only words on paper, there is so much trouble in the world that wouldn’t be there if people were just honest. People who lie are constantly trying to remember the facts to their lie.
“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember what you said.” These are the words of Carl Rueben. If a person was in court, and they had lied about where they had been on the night someone was murdered, they would have to remember what they had previously told the court. Did I say I was out of town that night? Was I with friends? Was I at work? Instead, they could have just told the truth, and accept the consequences for their actions. But instead, they lie again, to cover up their first lie, and then they just get eaten up by all of their lies that the truth finally comes out, and they get punished even worse for lying in court. Instead, they could have told the truth in the first place, and maybe gotten off with a smaller punishment.

If you are a person that lies all of the time, and then one time you do tell the truth, no one will believe you because they are so used to you lying. So how will they ever know when you are actually telling the truth? And, if you lie to someone, most of the time, they eventually find out. And if you do it a lot, they won’t be able to trust you, and trust is a very hard thing to earn back.

If you are a person that never lies, but one time you do, and you get used to lying, and like it, then, you begin to do it more and more until you are always lying. You go from a person that everybody trusts, to someone with the title of “the person who lies“. Lying can also lead to things like sneaking out of your house/school, or stealing. Also, if you lie a lot, you could get in with the wrong crowd, and they could get you to smoke, or do drugs.

I don’t want to be the “bad one” of my family, the one who everyone is disappointed in. The one who when someone says, “Aren’t you related to her?” they say, “Her? No, I have no idea who she is.” In my opinion, honesty is the best policy. It’s a great thing to live by for everyone. But hey, that’s just me!