Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By HaleyLynn101 SILVER, Leander, Texas
HaleyLynn101 SILVER, Leander, Texas

Lyrics are the words to our hearts, that we are simply to afraid to speak.

Our parents, are the ones who are supossed to be supporting what we do, and who we are. Weather we're smart, gay, part of the 'It' crowd, or a loner. Or if we want to dance or paint instead of studying to be a lawyer, or a nurse. Right?

Then I want to know this. Why do they hold us back?

Life is about finding yourself, and expressing your self. Not hiding behind the books, and doing something we hate.

Each of us are our own person, yes we're young, and can be naive. But we have our own minds and our own thoughts. We know who and what we believe in, and we what is important to us.
I honestly think that teenagers need to express themselves more. Be who THEY are, not who anyone else wants them to be.

My friend came out recently..and has been getting a lot of crap about it. I love him, he is my best friend.

HaleyLynn101 SILVER, Leander, Texas

My thing with that,

is if it isnt best for us, its our choices and our mistakes..i love my parents to death, but some of them force their children into things, or despise them because of one thing, and i just think its pathetic..

InsaneKitten BRONZE, Miami, Florida

Even shadows need light..... "Melissa Marr, Ink Exchange" :D

I don't think parents are trying to keep you shut off..... they just want to do whats best. If u decide to be a painter a poet thats great but you got to have a spare job as a sideline because it doesn't pay well. They don't want you to be a loner because they worried you'll never have a real friend in real life. They're worried if you're not part of the IT crowd what kind of people could you really be hanging out with? Are they good, bad, the people you really should be spending time with. They don't support you because they're just no sure what to think... because in reality it might not be the best thing, but one thing will never change when it comes to parents.... they'll forever love you no matter what, they're only human and they have there own ideals and beliefs, just like they can't change you. You can't change them :/

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Good work! I agree.