The Young | Teen Ink

The Young

July 21, 2010
By Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia
Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia
76 articles 0 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)


Why—at times—does it feel like a crime to be young? Why is it that just because we are young can we not understand the harsh realities of the world around us? Why are we too young to know what love is or how things fall apart? Since when does being young prevent us from living life? We know heartbreak, we know loss; we know love, and hate, and all the pains they can cause. We know complicated, we know not all questions have answers; we know that life is hard, and sometimes people fall. So why is it then that when things go wrong and we want to make them right, the mature people say “You’re too young to understand.”? We can and do understand. Because being young doesn’t stop us from living life. The young feel life’s bumps too.

The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this, when one of my friend's parents were thinking of spliting up neither of them really wanted to split, but they both to proud to try to fix it. When my friend asked them to fight for each other they told her that "she was too young to understand" that pissed my friend off and I wrote this for her.