Don't Wait for Prince Charming | Teen Ink

Don't Wait for Prince Charming

By smilebright BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
smilebright BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

"Your only in trouble if you get caught"- Aladdin

Let’s take a minuet to look at Disney’s princess. I can almost guaranty that some of the ones that come to mind are: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Princess Jasmine. All of the above have one thing in common; they sit around and wait to be saved. Disney is sending the wrong message to young girls, to all girls. Everyone wants to be saved by prince charming, but the question is why. Why did Snow White hide with the seven dwarfs instead of confronting the Queen herself? Why didn’t Cinderella go tell the prince who she was instead of waiting for him to come to her?
My point is if everyone’s sitting around waiting to be saved then who’s getting saved? Certainly not the teenage girl who swears she’s going to marry her boyfriend. What happens when she finds out the boyfriend is cheating on her? Girls don’t need prince charming to be happy. They don’t need a man to come and save them. That’s not what love is for. No one can make you happy but yourself. Love is meant to just be there, to let you know you’re not alone, not to save you.
Maybe if we had stronger princesses to fill the minds of girls we wouldn’t all be waiting in the tower. I’m not saying get rid of the prince I’m just saying why can’t a girl save herself and still get the prince?

javascript:selectArt(10253)

eric said...
Diseny isn't the problem. The problem is the people so stupid they beieve fairy tales are real. Theres no excuse for being so stupid. No blame for anyone but you for  your own lack of intelligence. Let me try this IT'S A CARTOON ... CARTOONS AREN'T REAL!

rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia

"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

I strongly agree. However of course, Disney didn't create those stories- they've been folk stories for quite some time, so you can't really blame Disney for the "wrogn message". Excluding that, I am in strong agreement with the message your text portrays- everyday at school there is always some girl upset and crying over a boy- I try to point out "Hey, it's not the end of the world. You know how many guys you'll go through? You can't go chasing something that doesn't chase back. Chase something that wants to chase you back- it's really not the end of the world!"

Bones96 BRONZE said...
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

I Love it true a 100% !

alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
Hey yeah! Tottally true! I try to get my friends to get this but they DON'T. Glad other chicks get it. :D

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

Yes! i agree completely!!  thank you for writing this article. Love it!girls cant wait forever, we are strong and can do anything. we need to stop second guessing ourselves.We can do it. We just need to believe in ourselves. once again thanks for writing this article.

smilebright BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

Thank you for thanking me it's nice to be appreciated

NonsensicalMuse PLATINUM, San Anotnio, Texas

"There is nothing wrong with having your head in the clouds as long as you don't get altitude sickness"

"Perhaps you are right,perhaps not. I don't know 110% either way.All I know is that Im in search of truth. If you are too, let us be friends."

LOVE THIS ARTICLE!!!!
This is soooooo true-thank for writing it!!

addicted1997 said...
This is a very smart, to-the-point atrticle, and it relates to the topic if teenage girls very deeply. I really enjoyed reading this piece.

weenpie:) said...
This is so true .Straight to the point .just how i like it.So many people base their lives off of wishes & dreams,but yet what if u dont get your prince & u get the villian instead. Life goes on . She just has to CHOOSE. Maybe u are your own prince charming.Love yourself & others will love u

smilebright BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

Thankyou for your hounesty

forrestthecat BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania

Sonnet 17

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

in which there is no I or you
so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand
so intimate that when you fall asleep it is my eyes that close

Pablo Neruda

Although I disagree with your argument, I believe your article was very well written and to-the-point...not to mention I love Disney. :)

teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut

"Nothing gold can stay" -Robert Frost

i love your article! its so true and its what alot of teens and young girls out there need to know. i mean how can we expect to be saved just sitting down? the guy is doing all the work by trying to rescue us while we sit around and put on nail polish!!! lol :P great work by the way, amazing :)

bgirlnumber4 GOLD, Vancouver, Washington

Be yourself, Everyone else is already taken

I like your article a lot It really hits the point and is a really important topic :) You should check out some of my articles once you get the chance :) Great job keep writing! :)