Childhood | Teen Ink

Childhood

November 11, 2007
By Anonymous

If you had the chance to relive one icredible moment in your life, would you do it? I know many people, including myself, who would Most people would go back to a specific day or maybe even a specific week full of wonderous events, but no, not I, for I would go back to an entire time, an entire stage in my life. I would go back to my younger years before school.
Though I was only about three or four years old, I remember bits and pieces of my childhood days, but that's what makes them so special to me. I remember we used to live on the outskirts of Edinburg, Texas in a big house, which at night would always seem somewhat mysterious to me. I would always go to bed with my mother, and she would keep me safe. In the morning, I would wake up and watch Virgil and Season, my cousins and neighbors go off to that unknown place to me called scool. From that era in my life, I have many happy memories--and a few bad ones, too. I remember walking out to the edge of our swimming pool one day and getting punished for it later that night. My mother told me I could have fallen in and drowned. But mostly all the rest of my memories were happy in those days of love and innocence. I remember waiting outside all afternoon for Season tocome home from her cheerleading practice, then we both would go jump on the old trampoline, her pom-poms and my curly black hair bouncing up and down as we jumped. At night, we would have campfires with my mother and Virgil and their older sisters. We would take blankets with us and marshmallows to roast, as we watched the sunset from our backyard and waited for the stars to pop out one by one. We would always make secret wishes on the first one. In those days, we would all ride on the tractor with my cousins' dad. We thought it was the funnest thing in the world. Then I remember my first bike. Virgil and Season's dad showed me how to ride it and I remember being so scared, riding that bike all the way to their grandmother's house, down the street, with Virgil behind me on his own bike. That day I felt so invincible, that I didn't even cry when I fell and scraped my knee.
My mother always says to live in today because one day, you're going to miss it, and it won't ever be back. Maybe, it's because we were so young, we didn't realize how much we would miss these days. If I could relive any time in my life, that would be the time. It was a time when you had no problems, no negatives around you, when you didn't have body image to worry about. It was a time when tears only fell because you scraped your knee or because you had a splinter in your finger. It was a time of discovery and wonder, when we had great imaginations. As you grow older, you realize you'll never be any younger again. This is why childhood matters to me and if I could go back, I would never wish to be "one of the big kids." I would be happy to be who I was.