Whats Most Important About 13 | Teen Ink

Whats Most Important About 13

By JetsSkaterGirl SILVER, Commack, New York
JetsSkaterGirl SILVER, Commack, New York

"That's What She Said" -Michael Scott "the office"

Knock, knock. “Hi, my name is Courtney and this is my friend, Ro. We were in the neighborhood today and are offering this magazine on…” Have you ever opened your door and had someone say something similar to you? Well, I’m one of those people. It is who I am. Love isn’t even strong enough of a word to say how I feel about this privilege. I am a Jehovah’s Witness and this is the very basis of my life.

Agape (a-gah-pay) love, it means a principled love. That is how I feel about being a Jehovah’s Witness. Every Saturday, Wednesday, and sometimes Sunday, I go around knocking on peoples’ doors. While doing this, I offer a piece of literature of some kind. My theme is God’s Kingdom. This is called Field Service and I choose to do it. That is my favorite aspect. On Thursdays and Sundays, I go to the Kingdom Hall and attend a meeting. It is here I learn of my high standards, values, and basically how to treat people respectfully. I don’t just listen and do the opposite when I leave, I actually change the things that I do wrong and become a better person. Not only that, but I also see my friends at the meetings. Also, the meetings are all interactive. There is no priest or rabbi lecturing. The audience actually participates in the speakers’ parts and we can actually take part ourselves, and this is called a talk. I have given many. We also sing praises to Jehovah God together – in harmony or not. Nothing will ever come between myself and my religion.

I have a busy week and that is sometimes hard. Being a Jehovah’s Witness is the most important thing in my life. Nothing will ever change that. Sometimes this presents problems when I have an extreme amount of homework or I have a project to do. I have little time for schoolwork. On Tuesdays, I prepare for the Thursday and Sunday meetings. The only “free” days I have are Monday and Friday. As mentioned, I have super high standards that I choose to keep. This makes it hard in school because of all of the peer pressure. I do not curse, dress immodestly, or go out on dates – to name a few. The latter of which is the hardest. Some of my “friends” have tried to set me up with people that I actually like and it is hard to say no. But I do it, because I know it will make me and God happy. Whenever I feel that I need help I just pray to Jehovah God, where I find the strength to go on. I am also always around people that try to get me to do things I know are wrong and, sometimes their behavior rubs off on me. But I am a Jehovah’s Witness, and that’s how I roll.

My religion is my life; it is what my entire life focuses on. If I didn’t have it, I don’t know what I would do. Agape love, knocking on doors and talking to people identifies me – it is me. I acquire valuable knowledge through the meetings and it fills me with extreme joy. Even though school is rough at times, I still press on. Now, when you hear a knock at your door, please don’t run and hide. If you could take five seconds and just listen, it makes our day. You don’t even have to take the literature. So, goodbye and - thanks for listening.

I wrote this for schhol and being in honors, we had to enter a writing contest. Here is my entry.

zuleg40 said...
zuleg40, Fallbrook, California

Don't give up to what you can defeat.

Hey. Iam a lso a Jehovah's Witness. Well... a publisher not babtized but making my way to get there. I love your work and im proud you put this out there.

SophiaOffing SILVER, Gret, Michigan

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
~Audrey Hepburn

Thanks! you too!! I'm glad to hear of people around my age who have goals and who serve Jehovah! ♥ Its the best thing ever! :) Have fun with your Kingdom hall build, hope everything goes well!!!

♥ Sophia

oh, cool.

My brother is on the electrical crew and in the new handbook it was saying that 12 and under arent allowed on the premises, 13-15 can help with food (what you do :) ) , 16-17 with light construction and 18 is full fledged. My siter and brother in law are on tiling and my other brother is an electrical too. i want to join electrical as well, if the time comes. And thats awesome! i hope you get it back soon. I hope to be a missionary oneday...... keep up the good work! (i like your goals...)

SophiaOffing SILVER, Gret, Michigan

~Audrey Hepburn

I am actually able to go at 15 because my Mom is part of the crew. Otherwise you have to be 16, so if your parents are on the RBC, you are allowed to go with them at 13! I was really happy when I found this out, and I started going at 14. My app. hasn't come back from the branch yet, but hopefully soon, because then I can be official! :-) and 18 does seem like forever away!!! I cant wait to be 18 so then I can leave with my friends and go on needs greater assignments!

Nicee........

i can't wait to join.....18 seems so far away...and who knows if will even be here then..........i hope you enjoy yourself!

Wow! That is really cool, and thank you! I happened to write almost a year after my baptism.

Thanks!!!!! I really appreciate. Tomorrow (saturday) I get to help with the renovation of my Kingdom Hall and I can't wait!!!!

SophiaOffing SILVER, Gret, Michigan

~Audrey Hepburn

Good JOB!!!! I feel the exact same way as you. I am Also one of Jehovah's witnesses, and this was very well thought out! I get really excited when I see other young people with high standards. Some of the witnesses at my school are falling away, and I just feel so bad for them! I wish there was more I could do to help them, but I have done all that is expected of me by Jehovah. Keep up the good work!!

Agape Love,

Your Sister

Dreamer said...
I am also a Jehovah's Witness and have entered a similiar speech about 2 years ago that won second place in a nationwide contest. Your report was very well written and I commend you!