Importance | Teen Ink

Importance

August 19, 2021
By Alaynateenwriter BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Alaynateenwriter BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     What’s really important? What in your life is critical? I have never been very material. Sentimental items never held quite that much value. My grandma, for example, was always very material. She recently moved to South Carolina, and before she moved she left many of her items with me. Old vintage makeup with hidden compartments, a pillowcase embroidered by her grandma, even some of her old clothes. I haven’t seen her in many years, my family can’t quite come to a standstill. But this taught me the definition of importance. Some people's new Gucci bag is important, some people's most important part of their life was being seen on TV. I’m only 13, my life consists of watching romcoms and going to school. What’s really important to me? People. 


     I used to think other things were important. I used to wrap up all my self worth and esteem in things like grades and looks. Popularity and friends were the most important thing. All of my worth is based solely on the numbers in a grade book. The numbers on a scale. But I’ve learned, I’ve changed. I hand out my heart pinches at a time. Droplets. Beads of water cascading down and falling sweetly on the tongue. I’m not jaded, or quiet, I am a bucket of water spilling over the edge desperate to hold on to every last drop. 


     People are the most important. The relationships you make in your sweet yet short life on this planet will stand forever. Information you absorb and the good you produce are the things that truly matter. Clothes and money will come and go, leaving you hollow. But the love reciprocated to you by those you love will be eternal. Memories will keep you company even in your darkest hour. They can comfort you, heal you, fill your body with light. Or they can punch you, hurt you, terrorize your every movement. Hold what’s important close, count it, cherish it, feed it, grow it. Your life is in your control so decide how you want to live it. Mahatma Gandhi once said, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” All you can do is try your best, enjoy what you have and learn more. 


     Greed and envy will always be a struggle of mine, trying to quench the thirst bored into you at such a young age. I still remember me at age eight, watching spongebob on the living room floor, the bright and distracting colors of kids on TV trying to get me to buy the latest toy. They looked like they were having so much fun, they were so happy and carefree. I could have all of that for twenty dollars! I cried and begged for an early birthday gift. Little did I know another hunk of plastic won’t make me happy. Stuff won’t make me fuller. What’s really important? Love.


The author's comments:

I wrote this in school! Spilled a little bit of my heart to share with all of you. I've always loved writing and this is the only time I've ever done something like this!