Phones--A Vital Resource | Teen Ink

Phones--A Vital Resource

By catherinemcentaggart BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
catherinemcentaggart BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

While volunteering with the Atlanta based non-profit organization, Soul Supplies, I met a man named Justice. Justice is 65 years old. He is a former UPS delivery driver, a self-taught acrobat, and a man currently experiencing homelessness. After giving Justice his backpack and meal, we acquainted ourselves. He demonstrated his acrobatic abilities by doing a head-stand, told me the secrets of maneuvering around Atlanta on a budget, and informed me of the current barriers existing in the government-run Social Security program. 

In lieu of in-person hearings and appointments, Social Security offices are only open by phone-appointment, one of the many damaging results of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Justice informed me of this barrier when recalling his recent visit to his local Social Security office. When he attempted to make an appointment, he was turned away and told to call. To think that that is not a big deal is a failure to recognize one’s own privilege. 

Access to Phone Service is a vital resource for United States’ residents. In order to access our array of Emergency Services, such as Fire and Rescue services, one must simply dial 911 and first responders will be promptly dispatched to their location. In order to access government programs such as Social Security, one must simply call to make an appointment. In order to have access to these services, one must have access to a phone, a cell signal, and perhaps an internet connection.

These seamless connections that millions of American’s enjoy are not affordable to many. While government programs exist, aiming to recognize and subsidize this issue, these programs carry their own barriers. Lifeline, a Federal Communications Commission program, is an active FCC program established by the Reagan Administration. Lifeline serves to provide a monthly subsidy towards either phone or internet costs, for qualifying low-income United States citizens. Currently, Lifeline bestows its enrollees with a measly $9.25 per month.

In addition to its inadequate monthly discount, when applying to the Lifeline program, the applicant must enter their address. This requirement creates accessibility barriers to America’s unhoused population, who may not have access to both permanent or temporary addresses, and in result, those without addresses cannot reap the limited benefits of the Lifeline Program.

Furthermore, federal funding for Lifeline has decreased due to the implementations of the Trump Administration. As a result, the 11 million people enrolled in 2017 has dwindled to a mere 8.6 million in 2019. In comparison to the 34 million United States Residents currently living below the poverty line, who qualify for programs such as Lifeline, 8.6 million enrollees is an unsatisfactory number.

Access to governmental services and programs such as Social Security, as well as our Emergency Services, should be a right, rather than a privilege only enjoyed by those who can afford it. The benefits of said governmental services should be equally reaped by all those who qualify, and should not prove more inaccessible to those of lower economic standings. 

Serve Justice. Serve the millions of Americans who do not have emergency services available at their fingertips.  Serve the millions of Americans who struggle making appointments with federal programs. Serve the millions of Americans who cannot provide a permanent or temporary address when asked. Serve Justice by improving equitable access to federal services.

As I sit behind my computer, writing this message, I think about the millions of people who do not have reliable access to the internet, or cell service. I think about the millions of people who cannot call for help, or make appointments, or conduct other basic operations that most would not think about twice. I hope that the government can re-evaluate the operations of their programs, and the barriers that exist in accessing them; I hope that the importance of reliable phone access will be understood, and measures will be taken to increase accessibility.