I Pledge Allegiance | Teen Ink

I Pledge Allegiance

November 13, 2018
By savrosepetals GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
savrosepetals GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...” The rustle of papers and sliding of chairs fills the room as students face the flag. Few recite the Pledge alongside the voice on the intercom; most stand with their hands over their hearts. I mimic the latter, fidgeting with my hoodie strings. I’m not sure why I stand; I think it’s so I don't stand out. As a freshman, I don’t want to be seen as weird.


“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…” As another year begins, the Pledge remains. I stand with my peers, noticing the girl in front of me seated. I smile and mentally applaud her bravery to advocate for what she believes in. I disagree with many things in this country, such as the pledge, yet I still stand. As a sophomore, I want to fit in.


“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…” As the students around me rise; I stay seated. Finally, after two years, I found the courage to do what I feel is right. While I receive disapproving looks, I tell myself I need to hold my beliefs. I realized why I never felt comfortable standing for the Pledge. As a junior, I finally realized what freedom of speech means to me.


“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…” That is probably the only statement in the pledge I relate to. As an atheist, the phrase “one nation under God” is not applicable to me—so why should I pretend that it is? The final phrase, “liberty and justice for all” is false. Minorities in this country suffer discrimination every day and do not have the liberty and justice they’re promised—so why does America keep pushing this issue aside? As part of this minority, I will not stand for something that does not give me what it promised.