Just A Joke | Teen Ink

Just A Joke

November 2, 2015
By TheRealPrincess GOLD, Vallejo, California
TheRealPrincess GOLD, Vallejo, California
11 articles 0 photos 12 comments

It’s just a joke.
when I made fun of you for something you cannot change,
your skin, your religion and your name.
It was just a joke
at your expense of course but who cares?
because it made me laugh.
I told you that I was surprised that Darth vader admitted to being the father because normally black men never commit to their children.
I asked could you cut my lawn if I gave you a dollar because the only thing hispanics are successful at is gardening,
or if you could see me through those squinty eyes because all asians are blind.
Because taunting another person because of something they're born with is absolutely okay.
Who cares if your heart is hurt at the end of the day?
wondering what it would be like if your skin was lighter, your hair was straighter, or your eyes were like everybody elses?
internally trying to figure out why something physical could affect your mental well being so traumatically.
but it was just a joke.
Contemplating life itself, cursing a god that you’re not even sure exists after the trials and tribulations you have been through for worshipping him, hating yourself, you, not the ones who made you feel this way.
because it's your fault.
It is your fault because your pigment isn’t ivory like they want it to be,
it's your parents fault for immigrating to america, going through all of that hard work, the threat of being caught and killed at stake, all of that work just for you to come here and be free has gone  down the drain. and now you’re here,drowning  in a sea of laughing white faces.
but let us not forget, it's not just one race of us, it's all of us.
you’re a darker brown than me so you’re not okay.
how do we live with ourselves day to day?
jews are evil and we must kill them all.
but anti-semitic germany was just telling a joke,right?
your words are vicious, they sting me and burn my skin like the hottest of flames,
they make me hang my head down in shame.
i'm sorry for being black,
my ebony skin has caused me too much pain,
and i'm sorry for my religion
living my life under yahweh’s name.
Because trying to make this world a better place is a crime.
i’m sorry for thinking my background is sublime.
I'm sorry for being muslim, my clothing brings thoughts of bombs to you.
I’m sorry for being poor, that i can’t afford your expensive shoes and clothes.
i’m sorry for taking your jokes too hard,
i'm sorry that they leave painful mental scars.
i’m sorry i am different, that i don't look like you.
i’m sorry.
i know i’m just a joke,
it was just a joke.