Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

December 12, 2007
By Anonymous

What would happen in our world if everyone based their choices on the popularity of them? Would each person lose something important in their life or would they just think that everything in their life is great because they made the cool decision? I believe that making the right decision is important even though it might not be the most popular decision.

I was at the mall with my cousins Sheila and Tyler. Sheila was 17 and Tyler was 11. We were all deciding where we were going to eat lunch. Sheila wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A and Tyler wanted to go to Sonic so the decision was up to me. Because my cousin, Sheila, was older than me, I chose Chick-Fil-A because I wanted her to think I was cool. It seems as though I wanted to be accepted by an older person than a younger person.

Now, everyone always has more stories to tell so here it goes. One night, I had some friends over to spend the night. One of my friends, Morgan, who I thought was cooler than my other friend, Lauren, wanted to watch a movie. And Lauren, on the other hand, wanted to go eat. I chose to watch a movie because I wanted Morgan to think I was cool. That was definitely not a smart decision and Lauren was mad at me the rest of the time. This is where I finally figured out that it didn’t matter if my choice was popular or not. I learned that I should always make my decisions based on what I think is right and nothing else.

Even though we all don’t make the best choices, most of us want to do the right thing but are just afraid that we won’t be accepted the same way. This story that I am about to tell you, is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was in the eighth grade and by then I realized that I should never care how other people judge my choices. It all started when I was at a party. Some of my friends wanted to play a prank on one of our other friends just for laughs. Everyone had agreed to be involved but I wasn’t so sure that we should do this. I told them I didn’t want to do the prank and then they all pulled out of it. This was a good decision on my part even though I was afraid that I wouldn’t be accepted. I ended up persuading everyone else not to do the prank and I also avoided losing a great friendship.

I believe that each and every one of us should make our decisions based upon what we want to do and not just because someone else thinks it’s cool. I know it may seem hard to make the right choice when you are around a group of friends, but it is just as hard to lose that special something as it is to stand up for what is right. Everyone that does this or thinks about doing this will gain something in their life. It will allow us to maintain close relationships with our friends and family and never risk damaging them.