Phoebe Prince Bullies and Suicide | Teen Ink

Phoebe Prince Bullies and Suicide

April 15, 2010
By Nkeeyah BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Nkeeyah BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only reason someone tells you that your dream is stupid is b/c they don't have any dreams of their own.


Phoebe Prince was a gorgeous 15- year old Irish immigrant who was bullied and tormented for nearly three months until she committed suicide on Jan 14. Students would constantly harass Phoebe via text messaging and on facebook.

The students who harassed Phoebe were girls who were jealous that she dated a popular older football player. The bullies would shove Phoebe into lockers, call her an “Irish Whore”, and even wrote on her facebook wall that she should kill herself. South Hadley High School (where Phoebe and the bullies attended) were completely aware of numerous incidents involving Phoebe, but never did anything.
The small Massachusetts community of South Hadley was outraged that the school never took action to solve this issue. Parents attended a meeting earlier this week and asked that the principal, superintendent, and school board members step down. Deaf ears met this.
The nine students who bullied Phoebe face charges as adults, with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A mother of one defendant says the bullies bare no responsibility for Phoebe’s death.
The story of Phoebe Prince outraged me because I am a bully victim. I was called names, pushed around, and beat up by people who called themselves “friends”. This went on for years (elementary through 10th grade) and no one did anything. I spent Jr. High ditching school and very angry. Just like Phoebe, I told the school, but it was never dealt with. I was picked on for being smart, being reserved, and for liking different stuff. My torture finally ended when I switched school districts this school year. At my new school I am a straight A student.
Now, hearing Phoebe’s story and mine what is your take on bullying? Do you think there should be legislation against bullying? Have you ever been bullied?

Please go to: http://www.phoebeslaw.com/ sign the guestbook and find out how to send a email to your state legislator.

I think it's time for change


The author's comments:
I was bullied at school for 10 years and no one ever did anything!