So Now What? | Teen Ink

So Now What? MAG

I am a homosexual. But before youlabel this another teen's "coming-out-of-the-closet" story, please knowthat I got over that a while ago. This is about what happens after, when everyonefinds out your secret, and how it shapes the person you will be in a fewyears.

I realized I was gay when I was 12, but did not accept it until Iwas 14. I came out to my parents my freshman year. They were accepting and stilllove me. For this I feel very fortunate. I also told all my friends. I lost one,but gained many others, so I consider it a personal victory overignorance.

I've realized there are many gay youth not as fortunate as Iwas. Many do not have the support of family and friends. I felt it was myresponsibility to help other gay teens, so a few students, a counselor and Icreated a gay and straight alliance at school. We created it so gay teens, theirfriends and supporters could meet in a positive environment, make new friends andlearn about each other.

I am currently the president of the alliance. Wemeet once a week after school to talk about current events and plan socialgatherings and strategies to try to eliminate ignorance and hate in our school. Ifeel very proud of myself and the group for all the work we have done. Whetherit's making phone calls, leading a group discussion or simply being there whensomeone needs to talk, we all make a difference.

If you are a gay teenwho came out of the closet, now what? Do not let anyone put you down. Always keepyour head up and go through life the way you want to live it. Someone once askedme, "If there were a pill that could turn you straight, would you takeit?" My answer was, and still is, "no." I don't think I would beable to accomplish what I have if I was different. I am happy with who I am and Iwouldn't change for anything.

DoLL_F@C3 said...
on Apr. 7 2009 at 12:25 am
DoLL_F@C3, Memphis, Tennessee

"FORGIVING YESTERDAY, LIVING FOR TODAY, NOT WORRIED BOUT TOMORROW." Doll

i think that's a great idea

Hmm.... well I can understand what you did. I'm happy your school was open to the idea of a GSA. Pretty amazing. Is your school a big one or a small one? I'm VERY curious. I go to a small school, and I have tried to create a GSA. So far...no help. AT ALL!