To the Left | Teen Ink

To the Left MAG

I love being left-handed. I stand out, which makes being a lefty worth it. It’s worth the ink almost tattooed on the side of my hand, the constant bumping of elbows at dinner tables, and softball gloves, fancy cars, and hockey sticks I will never be able to use. It’s worth all that because in one small category of the world, I don’t fit in with the majority.

In every other way, I’m average. I know I should feel lucky that I have a great home, great friends, great family, and an all-around great life. And I am. But sometimes I want to be crazy, wild, have green hair and piercings. When I think of people like that, I take comfort in knowing I have one thing they don’t - a left hand capable of anything. I could sign the next Declaration of Independence, or create a solution to global warming. Whatever I do, I will take pride in knowing that I had to defeat the subtle obstacles that being left-handed presents. I could never drive a stick-shift to work; there are a million scissors in the world made for someone else, and graphite marks are hard to get off skin, but I’ve survived, pathetic a victory as it is, and I love being able to share it. So I will. I wrote this with my left hand.

Elinapa BRONZE said...
Elinapa BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota

Do not Follw the crowd,follow what your guts tell you and you'll be satisfied with yourself later in life do it early when you're still a teenager

I'n left-handed too and I love it! True lefties shall rock the world!! It's great to know about other lefties

Kyrah-Luv said...
Kyrah-Luv, Hershey, Pennsylvania

Be Ur Self.

I'm Left handed and I <3 it

KLM705 BRONZE said...
KLM705 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I'm not left handed, but I like this message. I like how you notice that even though you are different you can still be on top. Although, there are several activities you can't accomplish, you didn't give up, and you kept your head up high. Bravo.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I'm left handed too! It's great to hear someone talk about this. :)

kindyxkandy BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

"You have to suck before you get to success. It's about the journey."

Amazing :)

I too am left handed! But I also have funny colored hair and piercings. I have learned to drive stick, and even can cut better with my right hand, since all we ever have around my house are right handed scissors. I can sign lang. with my right hand fairly decently, but do it amazingly with my left, and best of all, its not awkward to hold a boys hand, especially if he's right handed ;)

Elizabeth92 BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts

"Anarchism... stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for social order based on the free grouping of individuals."
-Sons of Anarchy

you're amazing..

hahah