We Are More Than Just a Word | Teen Ink

We Are More Than Just a Word

January 28, 2019
By Nightqueen14 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Nightqueen14 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Suess


As Sor Juana de la Cruz once said “World, in hounding me, what do you gain?”. Now, almost four hundred years later, I, as a young woman, ask the same question to all the prejudice men and (some) women: World, in hounding US, what do YOU gain?. What do you get out of making our lives miserable? Making us feel as if we are your worthless followers? Power. YOU gain temporary power by making us feel like we need you but we really don’t.

I am now embarrassed that I was used to look up to you, used to praise you and respect your opinion. I am ashamed that I used to hang on every word, every phrase, every ounce that came out of your mouth. I am disgusted by the women who used to tell me to listen to you, that your opinion mattered more than anything else. All because of your gender. Your gender does not make you any better than anyone else, just different from us. You are not special, not flawless, not an angel. No one in this world is. Thank God I have now realized you are mistaken; That your statements are false and untrustworthy. That everything that comes out of your mouth is one enormous lie after another, just to make me feel cheap.

You believe that the life of a woman is to go to school until high school, get married and spend the rest of her life serving you. We are NOT your servants. Then you think that we are automatically supposed bear children whenever you want us to as if we are machines. We are NOT objects. When we try to stand up for ourselves, you put us down and blame it on “hormones”. Not everything that goes on in a woman’s life has to do with hormones!! Women have feelings, just like men, so when we show those emotions, that DOES NOT mean that we are hormonal.

Out of all the unspeakable things that you, the worst of them I believe how you think that the way we dress determines who we are. Just because a woman looks sexy or dresses a certain way, doesn’t mean that she is asking for it. It means that she is feeling beautiful and is not afraid to express her sexuality. However, it does NOT mean that we are looking for attention or that we want to be touched inappropriately. Any type of assault towards a woman or anyone for that matter is NEVER OK. No one in this world deserves to be taken advantage of.

Women are made for so much more than just sex, children, cooking and cleaning. We run countries, states and we are activists, teachers, lawmakers, lawyers, judges, CEO’s, and so much more. We can do ANYTHING a man can do if we empower and help one another instead of putting each other down and bringing hate. So instead of being negative and complaining, we should be positive and make a change in the world to better the future. Now in the words of the great Susan B. Anthony, I leave you with this quote “No man is good enough to govern any woman without her consent”.


The author's comments:

This piece means a lot to me as it focuses on a topic that I feel very passionately about. I see things like the things that I described almost every day and it makes me so angry. Will there ever be real equality for women?