I'm Not Homophobic | Teen Ink

I'm Not Homophobic

By madhatter0111 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
madhatter0111 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois

When I was 13 it was the middle of the summer, and I was being driven to summer camp in Indiana. this summer I started to come to the realization that I was definitely not straight. at this point in my life I had believed that I was pansexual(now I identify as homosexual or homoflexible) so the way I decided to tell my mother mentioned a past thing she had said to me because I actually had thought that this was quite offensive

my mother has said to me 2 Christmas's ago when I had asked for a pair of heels for Christmas

"thank god, I thought that you were gay"

while at the time I laughed because I thought I was straight.

I started to bring this up and disagree with the statement. I said I like all genders (hearts before parts) I was being shut down. my mother was disagreeing with me. constantly telling me that you don't know what you are saying. 

I was crushed. balling in the car. I had no idea what I had been thinking. I even remember another time when my mom had even told me,

"if you were gay I wouldn't love you the same"

I was defeated.

being gay, I do hella gay stuff on my phone. I would download apps, have backgrounds, and even had a group chat with friends at school. but every time my mom would check my phone I would find more and more things deleted. first youtube, then texts, the google searches, apps, and on, and on, and on. 

one day I was sick of all of this and I go up to my mom and say, 

"what is your problem? why are you so homophobic?"

I get the response that made me feel forced to write this in the first place.

"I'm not homophobic," she said to me

right now it's 12/4/18 and almost midnight

all I want for Christmas is to have a pride flag

I wish I had better luck.

Being gay in the straight world, and the homophobic who refuse to accept themselves just like they refuse to accept us 

Marysia PLATINUM, Halifax, Virginia

"It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live."
-Victor Hugo

A magnificent work! Very eloquent and relatable.