Feedback on A List of Things I've Done Without You | Teen Ink

Feedback on A List of Things I've Done Without You

By karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“A List of Things I’ve Done Without You,” is a short, heartbreak story by Victoria Brown, written in the point of view of someone who had lost their significant other. We’re not told how they broke up or why, but we do hear about the things this person has done to try to get over their lost love. The narrator talks about taking pictures of the sunset, watching her favorite movies, and starting college. She lived her life without him beside her, as hard as it was.
    This piece stood out from all the others in “The Love Issue” because it wasn’t about someone falling in love with a person, but loving things that she couldn’t love before in their toxic relationship. I also really admired this person’s strength emotionally. The narrator had the ability to move past their break up and focus on her life and the things she enjoyed. One line that really had my heart clenching was, “I can’t put my life on hold for someone who’s continuing to move forward: I have to jump into life headfirst… without you by my side.” Broken relationships don’t make you and they shouldn’t control your life. You have the ability to live life to the fullest without someone holding you back.