Feedback on An Open Letter to My Mom | Teen Ink

Feedback on An Open Letter to My Mom

By karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Love is such a valuable thing that everyone should be able to enjoy. It shouldn’t matter who they are, as long as you are happy. But some people aren’t allowed to feel that because they’ve been taught that you have to love the opposite gender. A girl must love a boy. A boy must love a girl. And most kids have been raised like this by their parents, the ones who are supposed to want what’s best for them. “An Open Letter to My Mom” is a short identity piece written by “Odette” that spoke to my heart in unimaginable ways. It was touching and personal, but also portrayed a message that you should love whomever you want, and for parents to accept it.

In just a letter, “Odette” explains to her mom that she is bisexual. It’s supposed to be her way of notifying her mother without saying it to her face. She also brings across the fact that parents have “stifled their children and ignored the possibility that they may not be straight.” She explains that they can fix this and encourage their children to love whomever they want. And I agree. It’s so important for kids to feel supported by their parents and it’s important for them to be able to love freely. Love is love and no one should receive hate for who they choose to be with.