Feedback on Overheard | Teen Ink

Feedback on Overheard

By alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York
alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take."

“creak.

thud.

’honey, please.’

pitter.

patter.

’don’t leave.’

swoosh.

whack.

’love’s a sham.’

hush. click.

the door

slams.”

These remarkable words come from “Overheard” by aspiring writer Maeve Brennan. Every word of this piece was powerful and emotionally evoking. She took poetry to the next level by conveying a strong message about how love can be hurtful at times. Those who one needs most in his or her life can often disappear instantaneously. Maeve possesses undeniable talent, and this piece, in particular, was one of the best I have ever read from Teen Ink.

It’s a bit difficult for me to relate to this piece on a personal level, but everyone experiences remnants of tough ends of relationships. It’s such a real issue in today’s society, and we seem to be constantly surrounded by it. Lines like “love’s a sham” and “the door slams” forcefully brought sadness to me and assisted me in developing a connection with the narrator. With such a minimal amount of words, each one had to be selected so meticulously, yet every letter seemed to be perfect. What Maeve was able to do with twelve short lines of verse was absolutely magical and beautifully showcased her inexplicable abilities as a poet.

maeve15 PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

aww thanks Alyssa! You're the absolute best!