Feedback on Verbal Harassment | Teen Ink

Feedback on Verbal Harassment

September 23, 2017
By saltyranchers SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
saltyranchers SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments

“Verbal Harassment” by Isabella W. has to be one of the rawest and realistic accounts of verbal harassment. It tells the story of a girl (the author), leaving her art class and having two boys verbally harass her. She was humiliated and uncomfortable, like most girls are when catcalling and verbal harassment occurs. She told herself that they were “just being boys”. For years, that's been an excuse to girls who were a victim of sexual harassment. Snapped your bra strap? Boys will be boys. Made a rude comment on your physique? They were just being boys. Catcalled you and said vulgar things? That just means they like you.


Girls all over the world are made to feel like what happened to them was unimportant. They are also repeatedly told it was their fault they were harassed. They were “asking for it”, or questioned, “what were you wearing?” They are made to feel like they were in the wrong and that they should be sorry, not their harasser. This is wrong. We should make it clear that it is not okay what happens to these women. We shouldn’t excuse boys but rather uphold punishment. I commend Isabella for showing this side of harassment. Your article was moving and amazing.


The author's comments:

Inspired by an article seen in the September issue of Teen Ink.