Feedback on Ashes That Fall Around Us | Teen Ink

Feedback on Ashes That Fall Around Us

September 22, 2017
By karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
karlanarva GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 “Ashes That Fall Around Us” is a beautifully written piece by Caroline D. This fictional story makes you feel various emotions, sorrow and woe being some of the first ones. It’s about a Syrian doctor named Yasin who is living in the unfortunate war conditions in his country. At this time, doctors and hospitals are being targeted, therefore he is terrified of being bombed. He runs a makeshift hospital in a basement hidden under an old, single-standing wall. Yasin has help from Zahra and Samaira, other doctors who want to take care of any victims who need help and find shelter in their basement.
   

I was automatically drawn to this story when I read the quote printed on the first page of the piece. It said “Doctors in Aleppo were being hunted down and tortured,” and as soon as I read it, I wanted to know why. I know that doctors are supposed to help people so I was curious to know why they were being hunted down. When I was done reading the piece, I automatically felt despair for the country and the people living in those conditions. I can not imagine how frightening it is to live in a place where you are always afraid of being bombed. This story shows the heart-warming characteristics of the doctors who will do anything to keep their people and themselves safe.