Point and Shoot | Teen Ink

Point and Shoot

By rey24 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
rey24 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

“As happens sometimes, a moment settled and hovered and remained for much more than a moment. And sound stopped and movement stopped for much, much more than a moment.”

In “Point and Shoot” Vamika Sinha has a point. I follow people who I met once when I was 7 at a friend of a friend’s birthday party and I comment “gorg” (heart eyes) on all their pictures. I know that when I comment these things I mean it, but I also know that some people comment on specific people’s pictures to be in a specific crowd. I do agree that social media is a nuisance 99% of the time but there is that 1% of posts that actually do make a difference. It’s not like Instagram and Snapchat can monitor everything we comment and like, There's too many of us but there are still ways that you, yourself can make a difference. They’re doing the best they can and they believe that they best thing to do is to put the power in the hands of the people by this I mean you can report a picture or a mean comment. All though this isn’t the best way it’s all we’ve got right now. And yes, I know even if you report it it will still emotionally scar you for life but sometimes you just have to put it behind you and not let the haters get their way.

I feel like your story is meant to be about today’s youth but it goes much farther than that. I’m talking about your ma’s, pa’s, and gmama’s they have a serious problem. Our generation always gets flak that we’re on our devices too much and that our brains are rotting or whatever but the last time I went to see my grandma she made me walk in the door 5 times while she screamed “go back I need to get a good snapchat.” Sometimes to get my mom’s attention, I have to say “ Mom come look at this Facebook post." In general Vamika makes a great point but there are also some other issues that were not discussed.