My Mother's Ungiven Testimony | Teen Ink

My Mother's Ungiven Testimony

September 29, 2016
By HopeB BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
HopeB BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“My Mother’s Ungiven Testimony” is a great story by  “Cathy” about her experience with her mom. When her mom was younger, she grew up surrounded by great things and she was always interested in music, saying it was her life. At home was a different story. Her mom's parents were hard working but they were also alcoholics. Her father would call her mean things and make her “submit to his dominance.” As her mom got older, the great life she had before was gone and she too became an alcoholic. Soon she was losing people that she cared about (with this sadness also came happiness. “Cathy” made many good memories with her mom that she will never forget.)
   I have read about these types of incidents in books as well as watching them in movies. However, I did not realize this happening to someone that was very young (mother and daughter in this case.) I feel terrible for those kids who grow up with parents who aren’t themselves because of alcohol. I’m very fortunate that I have parents that don’t drink, and I would never take that for granted.