Please Respect My Choice | Teen Ink

Please Respect My Choice

By burkinafaso BRONZE, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
burkinafaso BRONZE, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts

Please Respect My Choice
In the article “Please Respect My Choice” the author, Ava Budavari-Glenn, described how the 2016 presidential election has affected her relationships and personal life. The author has been a Hillary Clinton supporter from the beginning of the races and is proudly feminist, but one of her close friends, also a feminist, said that if you’re truly a feminist you have to vote for Bernie Sanders. Many other people have that same thought and have spread it through social media. She then felt like an outsider. She says that if you’re a democrat you should band together with other democrats and help influence the government with your beliefs. This is not what’s happening. She says that this election is dividing the parties, making it much harder to share your opinions.

At the beginning of the race I was a Bernie Sanders supporter. I agreed with his beliefs and still think that he would make a positive impact on the country even though he is no longer in the race. I hadn’t and still do not have anything against Hillary. I believe that she is qualified to become the president, more so than Trump, mostly for her amount of time in the political system. While I am a very proud feminist and I would have preferred Bernie as president, I believe Hillary will do a great job sharing feminist beliefs and spreading equality throughout the country. It’s about time that we have a woman president.