A Trichy Situation | Teen Ink

A Trichy Situation

May 9, 2016
By Anonymous

“Ruthanne,” author of “A Trichy Situation” didn't just write a health article about trichotillomania, an anxiety disorder that involves the pulling of one’s hair. She wrote an empowering article about the hardships that come with this disorder and most importantly, that while it cannot be cured yet, one can learn to accept it. “Ruthanne” explains that whenever she’d feel stressed or anxious, she'd start pulling out her hair to relieve those emotions, something that made her feel ashamed and embarrassed.

However, after four years, “Ruthanne” has learned to accept this disorder for what it is through endurance and various coping mechanisms. She quotes, “I don't consider myself to be struggling anymore because I'm no longer ashamed.” Opening up about her disorder to her family and friends has made her a stronger person when dealing with trichotillomania.


What I loved most about this piece was that “Ruthanne” took a dark part of her life and while she was unable to erase it from her life, decided to accept the pain for what it was. She embraced this disorder and in doing so, embraced herself. Now that is what I find even more amazing than getting rid of it! As “Ruthanne” boldly quotes at the end of the passage, “I have trichotillomania, but trichotillomania does not have me.”