I'm Afraid of the Movies | Teen Ink

I'm Afraid of the Movies

By bbaker.2017 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
bbaker.2017 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The article “I’m Afraid of the Movies,” written by Emily Thomas, talks about movie theaters moving from a place of relaxation and fun to a place of terror. Thomas says, “Sure, we still go to the movies, but I hardly look at them until we’re seated in the theater, waiting for the film to start. Why? I’m too busy. Too busy scanning each room for the perfect place to hide if a gunman enters the building.” Many people are now afraid to go to restaurants, concerts, or even school because there have been many instances where innocent people are shot at and killed. In the article she also states, “December 1990. July 1991. January 1992. November 2005. June 2006. December 2008. April 2009. July 2012. July 2015.  These are all dates of movie theater shootings in the United States.” Those dates only account for movie theater shootings, not school shootings or terrorist attacks. The world has become a scary place, and the constant threat of terror is always nagging at the back of my mind, as it was with Emily Thomas.