Feedback On I'm So OCD Article | Teen Ink

Feedback On I'm So OCD Article

September 24, 2015
By Anonymous

This article was a well-written one on Obessive-Compulsive Disorder based on Mary Wilson's first person view on the subject. She talks about how OCD is a nuisance and how she dislikes people talking about it like it's an interesting disorder to have. She uses examples of people asking her about it like they want the disorder themselves, or treat it like a small conflict. I like the way she introduced how she disliked people seeing OCD as a "trendy" thing or as a illness to joke about, such as the way people joke about cancer or ebola. I like the way the author used the example of a girl making fun of OCD from the beggining to the end. Also her use of metaphors like, "being pulled by strings like a puppet" is a way to visualize how the disorder works.


The author's comments:

This article has changed my views of OCD from being a disorder that isn't as serious as I thought, to a disorder that demands you to do what it says. It's like an addiction you can't control. I think people should see mental illnesses and disorder as important as physical ones like cancer. They shouldn't make fun of it since someone has one less function than you. Also I dislike how people see these mental illnesses or disorder like a simple cold or sickness. Such as people telling a depressed person to "be happy, get over it, or stop feeling sorry for yourself."