"The Pact" | Teen Ink

"The Pact"

March 26, 2015
By TimR. PLATINUM, Allentown, New York
TimR. PLATINUM, Allentown, New York
34 articles 0 photos 11 comments

The writing I read was called “The Pact”. I was creative nonfiction. It had figurative language. It used a lot of imagery. She described a coffee being stirred and an old man climbing onto a bike. It also used a first person point of view. She explains her summer experience in Florida, and how it could have gone disastrously wrong. The story includes dialogue in the beginning, using it to contribute to the imagery. It does, also, use a little bit of research, or at least common knowledge, as “Janet” explains her newfound hormones. The story also includes voice. The author uses a nervous tone.
The author wrote what seemed to me as a memoir, though she published it as a personal experience. The characteristics I saw were the events in the past that had happened to her. They were true, and were nonfiction, though the way she wrote the article, it was creative nonfiction.
There were many characteristics of fiction. “Janet” used imagery the most, but she also used personification in a very humorous way, saying “Those newly discovered teenage hormones had taken a firm hold of our hair and dragged us along way too fast, yet none of us had the confidence to dig in our heels and refuse.” She also used metaphors, and an oxymoron, saying she was “Silently kicking and screaming.”
Overall, I found this piece very interesting and enjoyable, with her use of words and figurative language. The piece holds a lot of meaning in the areas of peer pressure. “Janet” tells us to not only not allow our friends pressure us into things we don’t want to do, but also no not allow ourselves to pressure us into things.