Feedback on "Love a Yourself First" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Love a Yourself First"

January 25, 2015
By loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 5 comments

"Love Yourself First," by Ash Rivera is a stunning true story with an important lesson to many people. The piece explains how when Ash met her boyfriend, Charlie, she was going through rough times but he always made her happy. However, as long as they were together, it wasn't until the end that Ash realized Charlie was actually making her depressed. He was doing this by making Ash change practically everything about herself: her hair, clothing, the type of music she listened to, and even more. She was changing because she loved him and wanted to make him happy. However, when her boyfriend started smoking and Ash begged him to stop, Charlie said he wouldn't change a part of himself for her. This gave Ash a huge reality check, for she had been changing herself for him but he wouldn't do the same.
     I especially loved this piece of writing because of how relatable it is for many people because of the realization that Ash made: that you should only love someone if they love you for who you are. The lines that show Ash's awakening are really a punch in the stomach to readers. The text says, "I kept begging him to stop [smoking], but he said this was who he was and he wasn't about to change for me. Reality hit me when he said these words." I absolutely love how shocking these lines were and like "Love Yourself First" says, "Never let a boyfriend or girlfriend make you feel that you're not good enough, because for someone who truly loves you, you will always be worthy just the way you are."