Feedback on "The Taste of Laughter" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Taste of Laughter"

By loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"The Taste of Laughter" by Julia Adams is a very beautiful and descriptive poem about what reminds her of laughter, or as she describes it, how it tastes. For part of the poem, Julia gives many examples of flawless descriptions of how she imagines laughter to taste like. She uses perfect imagery and even adds a bit of humor. A part of her poem that shows the beauty of her imagery is, "It tastes like the air in fall/ as Yellow leaves waltz throughout it." However, later in the poem she starts asking herself if laughter truly does taste like the glamour she has described. This is because she realizes that laughing can be mean and deceitful. However, she continues to finish the poem with a powerful ending.
     Throughout the poem, Julia explains that laughing tastes like yellow, which she portrays to be a very positive color. She especially accentuates how laughter tastes like yellow sunflowers. By the end, as she is talking about how laughter can also be deceitful, she explains that laughter feels red and like fire in an obviously negative tone. And in the last line, she uses a hauntingly beautiful metaphor that the fire burns down rows of sunflowers, comparing the different sides of laughter with the deceitful side being the fire and the joyous side being the sunflowers. To conclude, "The Taste of Laughter" is a heartlifting poem with a perfect amount of powerful meaning behind it and its rows of burning sunflowers.