Feedback on "Rules for NYC Tourists" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Rules for NYC Tourists"

December 4, 2014
By ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Teen Ink December Feedback

     I recently read, “Rules for NYC Tourists,” by Cyd Sacks. Being a New York City resident myself, this sarcastic piece left me laughing my head off, as the author told tourists to do everything that New Yorkers hate, stating that, “If you follow these rules on your trip to Manhattan, you will truly grace native New Yorkers with your presence.” The narrator tells the reader to act like a complete nuisance, setting bus drivers behind schedule, purposely stopping human traffic on the sidewalk to gape at nearby buildings, to walk with obnoxiously large luggage, etc, etc.
   The author perfectly describes how to act like the typical obnoxious tourist. As my eyes scanned every line, I flash backed to every single time I saw a tourist struggle on the subway, or slam passerby accidentally with their massive luggage, or hold up the busy sidewalk as they gaped at the World Trade Center or the Empire State Building. Sacks’ piece was extremely hilarious, and will leave you laughing the next time a tourist fiddles cluelessly with their MetroCard.