"I Hate Being a Nice Girl" | Teen Ink

"I Hate Being a Nice Girl"

By darkpoet002 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
darkpoet002 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

“Writing can be a lifeline, expecially when your existence has been denied, especially when you have been left on the margins, especially when your life and process of growth have been subjected to attempts at strangulation.”
― Micere Githae Mugo

This piece precisely captures the inner feelings of a "nice girl" and the standards she holds for herself. As I was reading this article, it felt like I was reading about myself and my journey through the stages of growing up and realizing who I really am. The way the author captured the ideal image every "nice girl" strives to be was completely accurate pursuant to my own experiences. All those times I was scared to speak up, say something different, tell someone how I really feel are still crystal clear in my mind. After reading this, I gained the piece of confidence I was missing before I could truly accept that I don't need to live up to the expectations others have placed on me based off of who they think I am. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was able to relate to Noelle Downey's memoir. She wrote very straight-forward and with the power of finally stomping down your foot in defiance to the nice girl standards.