The Skirt Response | Teen Ink

The Skirt Response

October 3, 2014
By Anonymous

When I first read “The Skirt,” by Emilytheauthor I felt like I was able to relate to every single word she wrote. She talks of personal experience on trying to see herself in the skirt. She describes herself as a very modest person, and the skirt is the exact opposite of who she is. The skirt is what you can call not so conservative and revealing. She gives the skirt a shot by slipping it on and taking a good look in the mirror. The girl in the mirror is not Emily, but the person she wishes to be. The girl who would blend in with everyone else and make all the guys jaws drop at her school. As much as she wishes and tries, it’s not Emily.

I couldn’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve bought “The Skirt,” and how it just sits in the back of my closet waiting for me to be like the rest of society. Yet I do not have the courage to not be who I am. Trust me I try being like the rest of the girls you see now a days but I’ve came to realization that I Miranda, will never be like the rest and I’m trying to focus on being ok with that. Just like everyone else I’m my own person and cannot be like everyone else in this world no matter hard I try. The thing is, I shouldn’t have to try to be like everyone else. Being your self is one of the greatest feelings ever because it means there is only one of you and that’s something nobody else can change. What I took from Emily’s personal experience is there is no one like you and that is an accomplishment you should take pride in and be proud of.  The skirt isn’t for everyone.


The author's comments:

I wanted to acknowledge "The Skirt" by Emilltheauthor. When I read her work I was amazed by how much I was able to relate to her feelings towards "The Skirt."