I Hate Being A Nice Girl | Teen Ink

I Hate Being A Nice Girl

October 2, 2014
By Terrill.Kayla BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Terrill.Kayla BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can see it. This moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder."


 September’s issue was one of my favorites, while reading I got really attached to Noelle Downey’s short article, “I Hate Being A Nice Girl.” It used such a unique style of writing that stopping mid-article was not an option. She was able to open my eyes to a different side of people by showing my that not everyone is how they seem. Her deep take on the situation lead me through her story with ease. Her detailed description of this young girl had to act like a nice girl because thats what everyone expected of her , pulled at my heart strings.
In her article, Noelle write,”I hate feeling like I’m failing id I don’t measure up to the nice-girl standards.” This jumped out at me because she made a connection to the real world. How many people feel like they are failing because they don’t live up to people’s impossible standards? Being able to connect it to daily life just added to my love for this story.