"Popular Culture=Rape Culture?" | Teen Ink

"Popular Culture=Rape Culture?"

By MarianaCampaYork BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
MarianaCampaYork BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

In the article "Popular Culture=Rape Culture?" by Amelia Roskin-Frazee I totally agree with her about the song "Blurred Lines" sounding like a rapist song. In my opinion, yes the song maybe catchy but if you really listen to it, it sounds offensive. Robin Thicke isn't the first to make a song sound offensive to women, there's a lot of other artists' that make songs sound offensive. Now a days , every artist makes an offensive song and no one finds anything wrong with it. Its not really a problem to people who don’t care about the lyrics but some do take it seriously.

When I first listened to the song "Blurred Lines" I missed interpreted the song as if the guy was confused about the girl because she gave him mixed signals. She appeared to flirt with the guy but then backed off, so the guy was unsure about her feelings. Everyone has their own opinion towards the song, but when Amelia put in her point of view of the song, I saw a different picture of the song. She mentioned that Robin Thicke blamed girls/women for being raped because of how some dress and act and how that’s not a reason for girls to be raped based on what they wear. In our generation now its not much of a surprise for a song to be offensive but I can imagine what it must be like for someone who has been through some stuff and how they feel about the song.