A Historic Slam Dunk | Teen Ink

A Historic Slam Dunk

November 26, 2013
By Erin DeBettencourt BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
Erin DeBettencourt BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“A Historic Slam Dunk” by Morgan Starling was an inspiring story about how women can have a sports career. Morgan Starling talks about how in 2002, Lisa Leslie made the first slam dunk in WNBA history. WNBA started in 1997, and 5 years later, Lisa made “A Historic Slam Dunk.” I think this is inspiring to girls and women because Lisa Leslie proved that women have the same capability as men do with basketball. WNBA was extremely popular and had 25 million fans. Unfortunately, the WNBA fans slowly moved away and started watching the NBA league.
I feel like I can connect with this story because I love basketball so much. I agree and disagree with different parts of this article. For example I agree and have strong opinions about men and women being compared. Some people think that men are more aggressive and strong and are better at sports. But I don’t think it has anything to do with whether you’re a man or woman. I think it’s about how much you work for it and how much you really want it. I think an NBA player and a WNBA player have the same abilities. Also I think it is wrong how if the NBA team starts losing money and going downhill, it will bring the WNBA team with it.
Something that I think is incredible is that the WNBA make donations to different charities including The Importance of Reading and Online Literacy. They have donated over 20,000 books there, also donate to Breast Cancer Awareness. They chose to support the Breast Cancer Awareness because many of their teammates are struggling with that.
Women’s National League shouldn’t be compared to the men’s team and I hope that the WNBA team gets recognized for the incredible things that they do.