Bus Driver Roy O'Dell | Teen Ink

Bus Driver Roy O'Dell

By sjcaron19 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
sjcaron19 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

When I read the story “Bus Driver Roy O’Dell” about a girl, that went on a school bus very young and the bus driver was nice to her as she sat in the front seat to talk to her new friend. As their relationship grew on, Roy O’Dell’s life shortened, he died from a terrible un-rare, common and even-to-children-familiar disease, called cancer. In the story she quotes “he considered you family” and by that line I could tell the feeling was mutual. One of my favorite parts was, when the bus drivers son took the opportunity to write her a note with a crisp, two dollar bill, to represent, the fact that just like her, two dollar bills are hard to find.

This story caught my attention because my grandpa had cancer, and we weren't sure if that’s what he died from, but when my grandpa died, it was so sudden, just like the bus driver’s death. In the article, I agree that this was sad because even when you're not close to them, it’s tragic when someone dies. Your life just isn’t the same way again and knowing that someone died from cancer, makes me want to do something about it and take action.

I like how this story inspires me to take a stand to cancer and how the story builds you up to thinking that this relationship is good and that everything will be okay, but he dies and in Dakota’s life and now in mine his legacy lives on. I wish I could build a stronger relationship with, people that I’m not too happy with currently, because I realized that life is too short to live with regrets and to have hatred on people because they made a mistake and we should find the goodness in our hearts to forgive the person.