Those Summer Days | Teen Ink

Those Summer Days

November 21, 2013
By Angela Hayes BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
Angela Hayes BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Those Summer Days” by Hannah Wagner is a touching piece that is very relatable. It talks about all those fantastic days and nights you explored as a kid. The memories and adventures and how they are all blown away by reality and the fact of growing up. It’s about how big your imagination was while you were little and how you bleed through that and eventually grow up.

The first time I saw this piece of writing I thought it was going to be another one of those traditional summer stories about how you go to the beach and stay up until 4 am with your best friends. But when my eyes skimmed over and read “Last night I feel asleep on the couch and woke up on the couch” I was instantly interested. I realized it was about childhood. As I read, memories of my own childhood flooded into my mind and I smiled. “I remember when I would fall asleep on the couch or on the floor, and dad would scoop me up and take me to my room, and I would wake up-as if by magic-in my own bed”. I remember very clearly my dad doing this. Sometimes, I would purposely fall asleep on the couch so my dad would carry my to bed. I felt like a princess. Too fragile to be awakened.