Writing Something for Teen Ink | Teen Ink

Writing Something for Teen Ink MAG

By aladine_98 SILVER, Hemet, California
aladine_98 SILVER, Hemet, California

Turn on computer. Hum impatiently while it warms up. Open a word page. Sit there. Stare at the blinking cursor. Stare at it some more. Hesitantly type a few words. Delete-delete-delete. Tap your fingers on the table. Surf the Internet for a while. (You know, for inspiration. Sure.) Realize you've wasted an hour and a half. Return to the empty page. Smack your forehead and button mash to release your strained emotions:

poiretpoijg pO!@ogj +ofgj pworituv%;?

Much better.

Mentally rant at yourself. You have to write something. Something! ANYTHING! Think of your life. Think of your creativity. Think of your adoring fans waiting for your next article.

Okay, so you don't have adoring fans.

Start typing something. Feel that, hey, this isn't so bad. Get up and make that tea you were craving. Sip while typing. End up with a piece you cringe at the thought of people reading. Submit it anyway. Wait ­apprehensively for it to be accepted. Run around the house when it finally is.

Wait for comments. Check for comments. Hope for comments. Get a comment. Run around the house excitedly. Somehow ­receive more comments. Read them all wonderingly. Twice.

Feel good about yourself as a writer. Feel proud of yourself as a writer. Feel a little self-gratified about yourself as a writer.

Spontaneously get the urge to write something new.

This piece actually wasn't that hard to write, seeing as I took it from my own personal experience. Hopefully, other writers on Teen Ink can relate. I wouldn't want to be the only one with a.... unique writing process. ;)

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Overestimating? Well all your editor's pick and mag tags disagree :p And did you get your magazine?

aladine_98 SILVER, Hemet, California
Royalujjwa4, thank you for making my day. :)  You overestimate me. But I'm glad that I could be an inspiration. I'd like to read what you produce! And it would certainly be interesting to meet you too. :p

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

YOU ARE AMAZING!!  All of us here write, very few inspire. And you inspired me today. Wish I knew you in person :P Thanks for writing this particular piece, it brought that inner 'thing' in me to write again. 

YozoraK PLATINUM, Maumelle, Arkansas

"Life for you has been less than kind/So take a number/Stand in line/We've all been sorry/We've all been hurt/But how we survive/Is what makes us who we are." -'Survive' by Rise Against

This is me: *tries to write something other than poetry, ya know, broaden the horizen or something along that nature* *stares at sheet of paper or computer screen* *stare* *stare some more* *SSSSTTTTAAAARRRREEEE* *writes a poem instead* And yet I have no trouble writing these huge long comments on other people's articles.  Go figure.

Thatdaydreamer GOLD, Peterborough, Other

“You can make anything by writing.”
― C.S. Lewis

Oh my god this is exactly what I do haha! This is brilliant, funny and so relatable, love your writing:)

aladine_98 SILVER, Hemet, California
Thank you for such a sweet comment. I read yours wonderingly. Twice. :)  You honestly just made my day, andante. I think I'm gonna go run around the house excitedly now. 

andante BRONZE said...
andante BRONZE, Hemet, California
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

How slow life is,
How violent hope is.
--Guillaume Apollinaire

congrats, this is pretty catchy ;) i like the phrasing and your thought process. my favorite part is the mention of your many loving fans. you have one~