Refusing to Rate | Teen Ink

Refusing to Rate MAG

By Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota

Since my article was published in Teen Ink magazine, the number of views it received on TeenInk.com went from 30 to a whopping 400 in a few months. That's an incredible increase, no matter who you are. I couldn't get that if I spent a month spamming the chat rooms and reviewing other people's work.

And yet with those 400 views, I have only five comments and six ratings, all of which were there before I was published. I don't know about you, but I think this is absolutely ridiculous. Teen Ink isn't just a writing website; it's a writing community. As a member, it's your obligation to give feedback, whether by commenting or rating.

I just checked – it takes two and a half seconds, just two clicks of the mouse, to rate a piece. It's not hard, and as a writer, I know I greatly appreciate it when someone takes the time.

A total of 2,295,820,800 seconds is the average life expectancy. Will you spend two seconds of that helping another writer?

laila_265 GOLD said...
laila_265 GOLD, Houston, Texas
Agreed! I think a goal of all writers is to get people talking about their work. This is such a great opportunity for feedback- wish people would give some! 

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Great work! And I totally agree, it doesn't take that much work to rate, or comment, for the matter. 

Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
This makes me laugh so much. 73 views, 1 comment, 6 ratings. What was I talking about again? I forgot.

on Jan. 30 2013 at 11:40 am
sempiternal_obsession SILVER, Camden, Tennessee

“Imagining isn't perfect. You can't get all the way inside someone else...But imagining being someone else, or the world being something else, is the only way in. It is the machine that kills fascists.”
― John Green, Paper Towns

So true. You'd think that for a bunch of mind-speakers we'd be a little bit more willing to share our thoughts and opinions about something we're so passionate about.