Extra Obstacles | Teen Ink

Extra Obstacles

By mwlae09 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
mwlae09 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

When I read Kelsey R.’s well written story “Extra Obstaces” it shot me right back in time to the night a 300 pound column fell on my little brother. Just like in the story, this was totally unexpected. It was my fathers birthday party and my then 7 year old brother was walking through the restaurant where the party was. It all happened so fast. A waiter moving quickly somehow hit into the column hard enough, and my brother was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I witnessed the whole thing. It seemed like it was happening in slow motion, the column falling, Henry... screaming, Mom scooping him up quickly into her safe arms and running him over to a table to examine the damage. I will never forget the way my brothers body looked while he was on that table. I could only compare the way his body was shaking uncontrollably, to someone who was overdosing. He was in shock. After reading this article, although my younger brother only lost a toe, I could relate. Like Kelsey, my younger brother went through numerous operations. His accident happed in May, and he was in a wheelchair the entire summer. This article really was one I could connect with, even though I wasn’t the one who lost the toe.