Rather than posting a black square... | Teen Ink

Rather than posting a black square...

By verconica BRONZE, Fair Lawn, New Jersey
verconica BRONZE, Fair Lawn, New Jersey

There are over 29 million public posts under “#BlackTuesday” on Instagram. On June 2nd, 2020, known as Black Tuesday, much of the internet responded to the police brutality and systemic racism that is engraved in America's history by posting an image of a black square. These squares should show solidarity, but do not provide background, insight, information, or education to back up the very real racial issues at hand. 

Instead, awareness of concrete facts should be spread. There are countless links, articles, and websites that can be used to form an opinion - and that is what should be spread. There are so many places where one can fact check, see evidence, and contribute. Sharing the useful ones are beneficial to anyone trying to get involved.

After seeing countless black squares during what was supposed to be a social media blackout, I took some time to really dwell on the significance of this blackout movement in relation to Black Lives Matter. Will millions of black squares truly inform the public? Most likely not.