Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

By GillBot SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York
GillBot SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I’m certain that I don't think I’d be able to live happily with the inability to see like a normal person. Just like having an arm or leg, vision is integral not only to who I am, but also to who many other people are. It's a part of their being. “Double Vision,” by Anthony Reo, has allowed me to have a whole new perspective on this, although not necessarily changing my mind on the matter. In this article, Reo explains his situation on his vision and how he ended up like the way he is. “In an effort to beat my brother in an epic bicycle race, seventh-grade me slammed into my dad’s car mirror, sending shards of broken glass into my arm. Seeing things is not really my forte.” One would think that this injury would've been earth shattering, especially at such a young age. However, Reo approaches it as optimistically as possible, as if it was anything but a burden.

One way he says that it helps is with his wrestling. He explains that one strategy in wrestling requires you to watch the clock and changing how much energy you should utilize depending on the time. Reo cannot do this, due to his vision. So, in the regional championship, he knew he would need to attack through all three periods. He took down his opponent with only a few seconds left, and won. Another way he is optimistic is less obvious than this one, and is more of a mindset and under the surface. He describes that “A healthy skepticism of what my eyes tell me about the world has led me to question what most individuals take for granted.” His vision helped him realize that limitations are self imposed. For example, he had to tutor a failing student, one whom all the teachers complained that he just didn't get it. However, he didn't mind these warnings and didn't give up on him. In Reo’s eyes, this student had great potential, and eventually got a C average. Reo explains his burden wonderfully and shows that it is more of a blessing in an even better way. Perhaps we need more people like him, who are patient and thoughtful, just preferably with better vision.